Texas Folklife is proud to celebrate 34 years of Texas Squeezebox at the Miller Outdoor Theatre!
Deemed the unofficial “National Instrument of Texas” by many, the accordion plays a key role in diverse folk music genres and cultural communities in Texas. Dust off your dancing boots for another historic celebration of the Accordion in Texas!
Featuring accordion-fronted music performances from top bands — this show will feature the styles of Creole, Conjunto, Polka, and more. Join Texas Folklife for an exciting evening of celebration of music deeply rooted in culture at Accordion Kings & Queens!
Support the Show and Reserve Tickets Now by Becoming a Texas Folklife Member All performances at Miller Outdoor Theatre are FREE!
Cedric Watson & Creole Bijou
One of the brightest young talents to emerge in Cajun, Creole and Zydeco (Louisiana French) music over the last decade, Cedric Watson is a four-time Grammy-nominated fiddler, singer, accordionist & songwriter with seemingly unlimited potential. Originally from San Felipe, TX, Cedric has performed French music in 17 countries and on 7 full-length albums with various renowned groups, including the Pine Leaf Boys, Corey Ledet, Les Amis Creole with Ed Poullard. Cedric’s albums are a tapestry of pulsing rhythms and Creole poetry, and his live performances are unforgettable, all at once progressive and nostalgic.
Grupo Imagen is a Tejano-Conjunto band based out of Corpus Christi, TX. 2015 recipient of the Tejano Music Award’s Best New Group category, Grupo Imagen has performed across Texas and has recorded three studio albums, performing primarily their own original compositions. The band is fronted by accordionist Silvia Navarro and vocalist Lorissa Chapa and continues to break barriers in the industry in their commitment to centering Tejana voices in their projects.
Alex Meixner Band
Alex Meixner is a nationally acclaimed musician, performer, bandleader, educator and a leading advocate of polka music. Formally trained in classical, jazz and ethnic music, Alex has cross-pollinated his versatile playing styles through pop music, funk, jazz and polka. He is an active ambassador for polka music, revitalizing interest coast to coast resulting in sold-out shows, renewed cultural interest, and growing mainstream acceptance. For Alex, it’s more than playing energetic shows; it is a mission to provide a much-needed positive experience that pulls communities together to celebrate history, culture and genuinely good times.
The 2023 Big Squeeze Champions
More information on the 2023 Big Squeeze Statewide Youth Accordion Contest Season is available here!
April 15: Big Squeeze Semi-Finals in Edinburg
May 13: Big Squeeze Finals in Austin
Accordion Kings and Queens is supported by the Board and Members of Texas Folklife and the City of Houston through the Miller Theatre Advisory Board. Additional sponsorships and support provided by Texas Commission on the Arts, The Morales Memorial Foundation, Capital Group, AARP Houston, Sharkey’s Cuts for Kids, Hohner Accordions, Restoration 1, Raven Grill, Que Onda Magazine, and many other community partners.
Interested in sponsoring this year’s show? Local and Corporate Businesses inquiring about fiscal and in-kind sponsorships, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected to the Program Sponsorship Coordinator.
Tickets to the Accordion Kings & Queens Concert are free with reservation!
Reserve Your Tickets Now Through Texas Folklife!
Ticket reservations are available in advance exclusively to Texas Folklife Members! Ticket assignments will be shared closer to the show date and will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. Reserve your tickets in advance to make sure you have the best seats in the house! Tickets will be delivered virtually closer to the show date.
Become a Texas Folklife Member Today to reserve your AKQ tickets and receive other exciting perks!
Reserve Your Tickets Starting June 2nd Through the Miller!
General Admission Tickets under the covered seating will be available on the Miller Outdoor Theatre Website starting at 10 AM Central Time on June 2nd. Tickets are limited to four (4) per person. Limited amounts of tickets will be available at the box office on the night of the performance.
No tickets are required for seating on the hill.
Support the Show!
- Become a Texas Folklife Member: Our members help to support the production of AKQ as well as get to enjoy exclusive perks for the show such as early access to reserved covered seats to AKQ, complimentary raffle entries, and more! Membership fees are tax-deductible donations. Learn more about Texas Folklife Memberships here.
- Donations: Consider making a tax-deductible donation to support Texas Folklife here.
- Make an In-Kind Donation: Donate items, experiences, or gift cards to be included in future AKQ Fundraising Efforts like our annual raffle and sile
- Buy TXF Merch: Purchase Texas Folklife shirt designs! 100% of shirt profits benefit our organization. Shop our online Bonfire Store here.
We thank you in advance for your support! Please reach out to email@example.com if you have another way you would like to support our organization or the Accordion Kings & Queens show.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Accordion Kings & Queens?
- Since 1989, the Accordion Kings & Queens Concert has been a staple event of the Houston area. Bringing in capacity crowds at the Miller Outdoor Theatre, AKQ celebrates the musical diversity of the accordion within Texan cultural communities. Historically, the show has showcased the genres of polka, conjunto, zydeco, cajun, Tejano, swing, & more. This year, the event will take place live at the Miller Outdoor Theatre and online.
Mark your calendar to tune in live on June 3rd!
- Where to Watch
- There are three ways you can watch the show live on June 3rd:
1. In-person: Join us at the Miller Outdoor Theatre in Houston to watch the show in-person!
2. Online Options
- Important Dates
- Here are some dates for #AKQ2023 to keep on your radar!
- How Do I Get to the Show?
- The Miller Outdoor Theatre is located at 6000 Hermann Park Drive, Houston, TX 77030 in Hermann Park, just south of the Museum of Natural Science and the McGovern Centennial Gardens.
Find information on parking at the venue and taking the Metro to the Theatre on the Miller Website.
- Texas Folklife Information & Merchandise Table
- Hours of Operation
Our Merchandise and Information Tables will be open from 6:00-10:30 PM Central Time on June 3rd.
How to Find Us
We will be located on the backside of the theatre building, to the right of the Miller Theatre Box Offices (if facing the Box Office). We will have “Texas Folklife” signs and banners displayed.
- Raffle Tickets
- Our annual raffle is back with two exciting prizes: a brand-new Hohner Accordion and a Custom Leather Belt from Al’s Handmade Boots!
- Become a Texas Folklife Member to receive FREE Raffle ticket entries! Visit texasfolklife.org/give for more information.
- Tickets will be available for $5 each at the Texas Folklife Merch Table.
Thank you to HOHNER and Al’s Handmade Boots for donating our wonderful raffle items this year!
- Merch Options
- Official #AKQ2023 Merch will be available at the Texas Folklife Information & Merchandise Table.
Buy Texas Folklife Merch in our online Bonfire Store! 100% of shirt profits benefit our organization. Orders are shipped directly to you!
- How to Support the Show
- It takes a village to put on a show like this, and we would not be able to offer free and low-cost folk & traditional arts programming like Accordion Kings & Queens without the support of our members and donors! Please consider supporting our work by purchasing an annual or monthly recurring membership or a one-time donation. Find all the ways to give to Texas Folklife here.